Saturday, March 28, 2015

Bald Eagle Nest in West Newton - in our backyard!

Our little street here in West Newton has had a lot of excitement over the last few weeks.  A bald eagle couple has taken up residence and regularly hangs out in the trees behind our house!  Our street list-serve has been sending sighting announcements back and forth so others can try to catch a glimpse, and we've finally figured out they're building a nest at the end of our street.  This is very exciting - if all goes well they'll be here all year!

Friday, I stood outside and watched one of them fly back and forth with sticks for about 30 minutes.  Another neighbor watched both work on their nest earlier that day.

It's pretty amazing!

Here are a few shots of our new friend(s).


He accidentally dropped that giant stick, and it fell to the ground.  


Eagle butt!

Photo by my neighbor, Paul Shoemaker, before they'd found their home



Another shot on a cloudy day


Last week, Travis' parents came up for a visit.  Travis' mom LOVES bird-watching and was ready to take our eagle's picture. We were certain we'd see them at least once while they were here, even though sightings had become less frequent...

We took walks several times a day to their favorite spots, and even drove around to other sites where they'd been spotted, hoping Jenny would be able to see one of them.  Owen especially enjoys looking for eagles...


Finally, the next-to-last day they were here, we found a bird.  Even though it wasn't the eagle, it was fun to see this beautiful hawk who must have kicked the eagle off his regular tree.



After 5 days of looking, it was time for Terry and Jenny to go home.  We did one more sweep around the neighborhood and took them to the airport.  On the way, we joked that we'd see them again now that they were leaving.

Well...Travis, Owen and I returned home, pulled into the parking spot behind our house, and BAM!  Before we could even turn off the car, the eagle landed right in front of us, on the baseball field in our backyard!  We couldn't believe it.

We jumped out of the car as he flew away.  Travis watched both of them swoop around the field and I managed to get one picture of him through the trees.  Poor Jenny.


If you live in the area and would like to know where the nest is, comment below with your email address and I'll share.  (Don't want to post someone's address on the internet!)

Update:  After posting, someone from Mass Audubon contacted me to hear more about our neighborhood eagles.  Here's what she had to say about them...

"This is really exciting to say the least. A bit more on this pair. The location is really intriguing. Eagles typically chose a site near the water, and if they were going to nest in that area I would have expected a site along the Charles River, not half a mile away, and certainly not in a suburban back yard. The pair consists of a full adult male and a 4th year female. The only difference between the male and female is size - as with all raptors, the female is larger. You can tell she's a 4th year because although she has a white head and tail, there are still traces of darker plumage on the face and tail as evidenced on your photo "another shot on a cloudy day." This is extremely late in the year for breeding since most breeding eagles now have young. So, I think this pair is just getting ready for next year - strengthening their pair bond by cooperatively starting a nest. Eagles will use the same nest year after year, so the efforts won't be wasted. If by any chance they do breed this year I wouldn't be surprised if the nest failed."



48 comments:

  1. Amazing: who knew that the Boston 'burbs are wild enough for eagles? I live in Waban and would love to see this guy. You can email me at zenmama at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness! I have plans in Newton on Sunday, and I'd love to see these handsome fellows. My email is siderea at livejournal (com).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in West Newton too! Would love to try to spot this beautiful fellow/lady.

    lis @ parkercat (dot) org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I currently live in Waltham, but used to live in West Newton. My email address is jingles60 at msn dot com.
    Thank you for sharing the photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm a former Newton resident and go back often..Where can I see them???? THANKS for sharing. email= elmac104@gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jimjack123@hotmail.com. We live off Webster on Crescent. We would love to see the eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. We would love to see as well. [adyanthayaATaol.com]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! Would love to take a look, I'm in Upper Falls. suziestrikesback at gmail dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thank you for sharing! I live in Newtonville and spend a lot of time running and walking through the area. I'd love to see if I can see the eagle and nest. My email is cabot32000@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren, I'm the naturalist at Mass Audubon and would like to talk to you about this. Can you email me your phone number at mrines@massaudubon.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to see them myself. Please email csevenb@comcast.net Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a bird enthusiast who also lives in Newtonville, and I'd love to see the eagles! My email is kaija@gahmfamily.net.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lauren..I live in the area and would love to see the eagles. My email is mrprudhomme63@gmail.com.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lauren..I live in the area and would love to see the eagles. My email is mrprudhomme63@gmail.com.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing. I think they may be the same pair seen by the river in Auburndale. I'd love to seem them too. Baker.liu2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I live in Auburndale and will be on the lookout for these baldies. Please let me know where to look by emailing me at barnesjaredm at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the pictures, would love to see the nest. Folio1623@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the photos. My little boy asked me to print one out so he could put it up in his room. Needless to say, we would like the address so we can go and try to take a quiet peek at the eagles. My email: kik860@mail.harvard.edu

    ReplyDelete
  19. We would love to see this pair. We have seen two in Watertown flying down the river. Could this be the same pair?
    lisamclellan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am also a newton resident and would like the address. amy.kahn@gmail

    ReplyDelete
  21. Newton Resident. I've only seen bald eagle in the wild in Maine once. So exciting!

    kim.suga@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I live in Newtonville, would love to see them. Email me at rljunk50 at gmail. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We live in West Newton and would love to see them as well! Email is jannahutz at gmail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I live nearby and would love to see a bald eagle in the burbs. email is jenniferweeks83@gmail.com. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your photos are beautiful! I live in West Newton and would love to see a bald eagle in person. Thanks!
    jvanek193@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are great photos, and so exciting! I live in West Newton I'd love to get a chance to see them - ice.badger[at]gmail[dot]com.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My Mom is very interested in seeing this bald eagle in person.
    Her email is: lesley_sneddon@natureserve.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see the eagles. I've been walking around but no luck. I think I need the address.

      thanks

      srasala@gmail.com

      Delete
  28. Thanks for sharing!! My daughter and I would LOVE to see the Eagles in person!! Julie.minkin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a me-tooer! Please send me the location of the eagles and / or their nest. Thank you!
    cybecca@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. We live in the area and would love to know the location? ericadmorin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wondering - If you are still seeing the Eagles as frequently as before.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have not seen them lately - I usually see them on the campus of Fessenden

    ReplyDelete
  33. fantastic photos! Please send me the address, if that is an option. Thanks very much.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, I forgot to give you my email: jdernburg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Bonnie from Waban...BBonnieG@aol.com
    I came to see the eagles 3 weeks ago; alas I didn't spot them at all! Kindly send their new nest address. Your photos are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd heard about these fellas through a couple of friends and would love to get a look at 'em and a photo too. Their 'address' would be appreciated; please forward it to
    cant_jim at hotmail dot com. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  37. Would love to know the address, thank you so much! A group of us at my office in Waltham have seen at least one of these eagles in the parking lot on multiple occasions. gcjaffe@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Lauren,
    I loved reading about your new neighbors! I've enjoyed walking the paths of the Cove for along time and never thought there would be an opportunity to see a bald eagle. Please forward their address and I promise I'll share any photos! Thanks,
    Billd02465 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for your generous gesture! I am eager to see the pair at work on their new home.
    dsasson@rcn.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Lauren ,
    My class and co workers would love to see the eagles my email address is kvincent@familyaccess.org
    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Lauren: I'm a wildlife photographer who would love to "shoot" these beautiful birds with my camera. Location? My email is csberney@rcn.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. ello, I live in Newton. If your Eagle couple is still in the area this spring, could you send me a notice? I'd love to come and take a few pictures! The pictures that you have posted are Amazing! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just saw one today! (Flying over Auburn and Comm Ave) Can you please email me the address? I thought I was dreaming... Duckberryma at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  44. An enthusiastic birder, I would very much appreciate the address as well! Thank you in advance. ccmcohn@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I would love to know where the nest is. I watch the Hays & US Steel nest cams all the time. Thank you in advance. unicyclemommy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. gbloch@me.com. i am pretty sure i saw a juvenile bald eagle near us o. temple street the other day. am curious where you are and if this pair is by chance still around?

    ReplyDelete