Thursday, April 18, 2013

Home Radon Test

About a month ago, I read an article talking about radon levels in Massachusetts.  A report had come out saying that 1 in 4 homes in Massachusetts could have excessive levels of radon, a colorless, odorless gas that can cause lung cancer.  The article goes on to mention that Middlesex, Essex, and Worcester counties are at the highest risk for high radon levels (we live in Middlesex).

This information, paired with the fact that we know several people who have had insanely high radon levels in their homes in the last year (one a short distance from our house), convinced me to buy an at-home radon test to make sure we weren't unknowingly simmering in radon.

The entire process was simple and cheap, costing less than $15.  I ordered this kit on Amazon.


The kit included the test packet, a prepaid mailer to send the packet to their lab, and specific instructions about where to test, how long to test, and how to get your results.  It was as easy as leaving this on our table for 2 days!


After 2 days, we sent off the sampler packet in our prepaid label and got ready to wait.  After about two weeks, I got our results in an email.

Thankfully our levels weren't through the roof.  Here are the guidelines they give:

0.4 - Average outdoor radon concentration
1.3 - Average indoor radon concentration
4.0 - EPA recommended action guideline

Our home came in at <0.8, much lower than the average indoor levels.  Whew.

I'm so glad I decided to do the test - now I'm at ease.  For $15, I think it's totally worth it to check out your home.  Especially if you're in New England or one of the three counties listed above.

*I was NOT paid to write this blog or compensated in any way.  I'm just really glad I did the test, and think you should too.  Can't be too careful!*


1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad your apartment is not secretly a toxic environment :)

    ReplyDelete