Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mark's Graduation & The Pill Bottle Cake


A few weeks I went home to North Carolina for my brother’s graduation from Campbell University’s School of Pharmacy.  After 4 LONG years, he’s the first to add Dr. to his name (husband’s next!).  For such an occasion, I HAD to make him an awesome cake…and what could be better than a pill bottle for a new Pharmacist?

Since I didn’t want to spend a huge amount of time on the short trip home, I called a local bakery to see if I could buy undecorated cakes from them for me to decorate.  The Cakery was able to fulfill my request and I was able to skip hours of baking…and play ladder-ball in the backyard instead. 

The cake ended up being six 6” rounds plus one 8” round for the bottle top.  I thought it would be fun to make a bunch of mini cupcakes to turn into pills.  Here’s how it turned out!




Graduation was on a HOT Friday afternoon.  Since my dad was part of the “platform party” (he was doing the benediction) we had reserved seats.  Gotta love the preacher perks!







After graduation, we all went to dinner at Sullivan's in Raleigh.  (mmmmm…)  It was an awesome way to end a really fun day.  After dinner they brought out the cake out and it was devoured.


One of my favorite quotes of the night – “Can I have a piece of chocolate cake, one diabetes pill, and a Tylenol with codeine?”  Who’da thunk cupcakes could be so funny!

Congrats Mark!

1 comment: